1. Add new categories to the categories list
Categories are managed in the "Categories" list. To add a new category you have to create a new category item in this list.
1. Select "Categories" list at the "Taxonomy Administration" site.
2. Click on "New" -> "New Item".
3. Fill out at least the required "Title" attribute and confirm with "OK".
A new site "Categories" with a new navigation tab will be created on top-level by default. Beneath this site a new sub site with the name of the new category will be created, too.
4. Repeat step 2. and 3. You can create a hierarchical taxonomy by choosing a "Parent Category" in the corresponding category attribute.
Remark: After you have created a new category item you possibly have to wait a short time before you will see this category in "Parent Category" attribute.
2. Add the category lookup column to your items lists
In order to assign categories to your items, you have to add an additional column to your lists or libraries manually.
1. Select the list (or library) where you want to assign categories.
2. Click on "Setting" "List Settings" "Create column".
3. Choose a name for the new column (for example Category) and choose "Lookup to SPXXL Categories" type. Leave "Add to default view" checked, confirm with "OK".
Now you are able to assign categories to that list.
3. Assign categories to items
You can assign one ore more categories to existing or new items in lists or libraries.
1. In your list or library click on "New" "New Item".
2. Fill out the required fields and select one or more categories you want to assign to the item. Confirm with "OK".
4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 with another list but the same categories
To see, how the Taxonomy Extension works, it is helpful to repeat Steps 2 and 3 with another list but with the same categories.
5. Use the items category links to view other items of the same category
In the default list or library view you will see the assigned category rendered as hyperlink.
1. Click on the linked category name.
You will be linked to the category meta data items list located at the category site. This list contains meta data for every item assigned to this category - cross list and cross site.
Per default some helpful views come out-of-the-box with this solution. You can group the items by content type for example.
2. Click on dropdown list "View" and select "By Content Type"
If you click on the items title you will be linked directly to the original item.
6. Use the related items links in an items detail view
To view related items of the same category directly in the detail view of an item please
- Select the categorized item list
- Open the categorized item in detail view using "View Item"
You see related items linked directly in the items detail view.
7. Use the category tree web part and the tag cloud web part to find all items of a given category
The category tree web part is placed on the categories site by default. To navigate to a given category please click on this category.
You can use the web parts settings dialogue to set different modes and views.
8. Use the default SharePoint navigation to navigate the category tree
By default for every category a category site is created and shown in the default SharePoint navigation below the "categories" site. So you can use the default SharePoint navigation to show all items of a selected category.
You can modify this feature later on in the configuration center.
9. Have a look at our FAQs